Friday, March 7, 2008

A Couple of Pictures

Several people have asked for pictures. I don't yet have any with people in them, but here are a few of the church building.


Here you can see that the building is on a hill. This is the entrance to the parking lot.



Another view from just past the church sign. the front part is the newer addition with the multi-purpose gym and kitchen. At the far end is the sanctuary.


This is a view of the inside of the sanctuary (all decked out for Christmas). The choir sits on the right side (as you face) up front, while the organ and piano are on the left side. The baptistery is behind the stained glass window under the cross.

So there you have them. Imagine me there (that's funny, I'm there right now). Now that I have Internet in my office, I might be there a lot. Who knows.

Things seem to be going well. The new secretary began this week, so this was the first "normal" office week (at least hours-wise), and it seemed to go well. I haven't been quite as productive as I would like, but that's an old story.

I'm catching up on my movie viewing and starting to write some reviews. They should start appearing next week. I'm also doing a better job on my reading (both for study and for fun); I'll try to post some of those reviews too.

As I mentioned last time, I've begun my "Pastor's Blog" and it seems to be going well. It is a new thing for the church, but the reception seems mostly favorable. I'm glad of this. Anything to try to improve communication further is a good thing in my book. (Regardless of their size, regardless of their age, regardless of their social structure, churches are always worse at communication than they should be. It seems to be an age-old, never-ending struggle just to keep your head above water.

CASE IN POINT, I announced the Holy Week schedule in January. It has been in both the February and March newsletters. It has been mentioned in the bulletin for three weeks already. I mentioned it in worship the past two Sundays. We've had sign-up sheets for readers. This week we put out sign-up sheets for the Easter Breakfast and Easter lily order forms. It has been discussed at committee meetings, choir rehearsal and Bible Study. I kid you not, someone who has been faithful in attendance in worship and other activities, who has mentioned items in the newsletter, and who has attended a special three-hour rehearsal to prepare for Holy Week was totally unaware of the Holy Week schedule. I don't mean confused about the times of the services; I mean unaware that the services were even happening. And this person is supposed to sing at all but one of the services. [Also, I know that I'm not the only one talking about the schedule. It's ambitious, and I hear through the grapevine that it's being discussed.]

It's frustrating, not in an angry way, but just in a smiling, "I can't believe it" way. It just happens so frequently in churches. Maybe you've experienced it (either side of it).

Anyway, it's getting late and the snow is threatening, so I should try to get home while I can still drive up the hill. More to come....

No comments: