Thursday, March 20, 2008

Holy Week 2008

I must keep this week's update brief. It is Holy Week, which means that I am busy. I think I was behind already on Monday, and I've slipped further behind a little each day. I'm leading an ambitious series of services, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, a full Easter Vigil on Saturday, plus an over-size Sunday set of activities.

So far, I've got a pretty good handle on these services. But during this time, I also need to be thinking about the service bulletin for Sunday, March 30, all of my contributions to the April newsletter, and next week's Bible study. I'm not complaining. I'm just a little behind. But I know everything will get done.

That's where I am this day. I'm excited that I long ago covenanted with God, and then with the congregation, to spend Good Friday in prayer and meditation. If I hadn't, I would be writing newsletter items all day, but I think that this will be better for me spiritually, and I think that everything else will benefit (even if Tuesday will be a much busier day).

Otherwise, I've gotten words that friends will visit this weekend, which is exciting. My Easter sermon finally began to take constructive shape late last night, which relieves a great deal of stress. And I get to sing a lot in church this week, which I find spiritually helpful and fulfilling in the midst of this work and the events we remember in the church this week. Sunday was "Via Dolorosa," which went very well. Tonight is "Gethsemane" from Jesus Christ Superstar, which is I think the most powerful interpretation of Jesus' prayer -- Luke relates that after this prayer the sweat fell from Jesus' brow in drops thick as blood. Tomorrow will be the spiritual "Crucifixion," perhaps better known as "He Never Said a Mumblin' Word," which I've never sung as a solo before; it's arranged by Moses Hogan, so it's quite powerful.

Anyway, I should send this out and get ready for tonight's service, which is now less than two hours away. Blessings to you all this Holy Week.

No comments: